Monday, September 14, 2015

A Man On Cherry Street

Yesterday I wrote about the spot where the most beautiful woman in the world passed by me on the Indiana State University campus. But it was not at this spot that I first met or first spoke to this woman that I would soon fall in love with. The spot where I first spoke to the girl of my dreams was here, at 607 Cherry Street in Terre Haute, directly across the street from the College of Technology.


As Kim (now my wife) and her roommate, Anna, walked down Cherry Street I walked closely behind (don't worry, they knew I was there). Anna had come along to ensure that I wasn't a creep and as a means of protection in case I was. She was walking closely to Kim that evening.

Then we heard the voice of a man calling for help. So, as any decent human being would, we crossed the street to assist. As I lifted his two casts from the front his caregiver pushed the wheelchair. And - in a moment of brilliance - I threw his glove on the ground for Kim to pick up (this kept her nearby). After assisting this elderly veteran and his caregiver into the building we were asked to assist him as he boarded the elevator to go to his room for the evening.

I still, at this moment, had not said a single word to this beautiful young woman. But, as the veteran that we were helping rose from his wheelchair to board the elevator to his room, his pants - the only pants he chose to wear that day - dropped to his knees revealing, well, everything else beneath his pants. And, in a moment of shock and concern - without thinking at all - I leaned closely toward Kim and I whispered in her ear; "don't look".
We soon made our way out of the building (although we did decline an invitation to his room for tea). And, from that moment on, I had no difficulty talking to this young woman about anything. 

I thank God on a regular occasion for this man, with two casts, his single glove, loose pants, and no underwear. I thank God that Anna was so grossed out that she took off from this spot on Cherry Street and left me alone with Kim, to walk, talk, and fall in love soon after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment