Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Press On Toward Perfection

The NBA Finals just finished days ago. LeBron James and the overly talented Miami Heat promised their fans and the city of Miami a championship but they fell short of their promise when the Dallas Mavericks proved to be more than they could handle. A lot of players in professional and college sports make promises that they fail to deliver on, perfection seems to elude so many these days.


A few years ago I had the privilege of attending the final regular season Ball State University football game. Ball State went undefeated during the regular season, a great accomplishment among today’s college football teams. After the game I watched as thousands of individuals ran onto the field to congratulate the football team and the coaching staff and to celebrate a season in which their team was perfect. Although I have never been a Ball State fan, I found myself caught up in the excitement and felt pride for this team that I had just observed. This got me thinking about perfection.



The Bible has much to say about perfection;
  • Deuteronomy 32:4; God’s works are perfect,
  • Psalm 18:30; God’s ways are perfect,
  • Job 36:4; God’s knowledge is perfect,
  • Psalm 19:7; God’s law is perfect,
  • Psalm 50:2; God’s beauty is perfect,
  • Isaiah 25:1; God’s faithfulness is perfect,
  • James 1:17; God’s gifts are perfect,

What an awesome, perfect God we have the opportunity to worship and serve. But what is encouraging is that in Matthew 5:48 Jesus calls us to be perfect as well. So how can we achieve perfection? Jesus gave two steps toward achieving perfection in Matthew 19:16-30, this is the story of the rich young ruler who asked about eternal life. Jesus lays out for him the laws that he must follow and the ruler claims that he is following all of them. Then Jesus says to him, in verse 21, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” It comes down to two distinct things. If you want to be perfect as God is perfect, if you want to achieve all that God has intended for you to be you must love God and love people. Jesus states it like this in Luke 10:27; “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love God and love people!

Paul writes in Philippians 3:12-14; “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” So I urge you to “press on toward the goal” that God has called you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment