Saturday, July 9, 2011

Running to meet your goal

As a general rule, I don't run. I don't particularly enjoy running, whether it is running for exercise or running as a competition, I don't enjoy it. Running can fall into two categories; speed and endurance.
  • Speed: When I was in grade school we had to run through a series of chairs in gym class twice a week and by weeks end we would have run an entire mile. Near the end of our second grade year they announced that I was the fasted kid in second grade. My dad still credits me with the title and claims that I could beat all those second grade kids with my speed today.
  • Endurance: When I was in college my wife (at the time she was only my girlfriend) asked me if I would train for a mini-marathon with her. I didn't particularly like the idea of running in a mini-marathon, 13.1 miles of winding roads and climbing hills, and I didn't like the rigorous training that came with getting myself into shape for it. But, while I didn't enjoy it, I did like the company that came with preparing and training, and because the love of my life wanted me to do it, I did it.
Hebrews chapter 12 has some to say about running, perseverance, and endurance (verses 1-2);
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith" 
 Max Lucado had the following to say about this passage in his book "Just Like Jesus":
"The word race is from the Greek agon, from which we get the word agony. The Christian's race is not a jog but rather a demanding and grueling, sometimes agonizing race. It takes a massive effort to finish strong. Likely you've noticed that many don't? Surely you've observed there are many on the side of the trail? They used to be running. There was a time when they kept the pace. But then weariness set in. They didn't think the run would be this tough..."
What about you:
  • Do you find that the "Christian race" is tough or even agonizing at times?
"let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith" 
We each have a race to run, each of us have goals by which we need to reach and goals we set out to reach. Yet there are often things that keep us from reaching these goals because we fail to recognize that they are weighing us down and keeping us from fixing our eyes on the end goal and the prize before us.
Here are some questions for you to consider:
  • What are your goals?
    • Primary goals?
    • Secondary goals?
  • What steps need to be taken (by you) in order to achieve these goals?
  • What will (you) need to stop?
  • What are the costs of these goals?
  • What are the benefits of these goals?
Read through Hebrews 12:1-11, considering this, thinking of the subject of your struggle with sin, your hardships, and God's discipline in your life. Stay focused on the goal and run your race with perseverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment