Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday

It is nights like this that I love. Our children - all four of them - are in their beds, quiet and happy for the moment. I walked next door to the church and the smell of clean restrooms and the sight of just vacuumed carpet greeted me. As I walked back to the house I noticed how beautiful the evening is. It is a clear night sky, so I took a moment to sit out on our patio swing - with its brand new cushions - and gaze at the numerous stars in the sky. The smell of our freshly cut lawn and a perfect 72 degrees reminds me that this is almost too perfect.

And I remember that it is Good Friday. Just an hour ago we sat down as a family and read the account from the Gospel of Matthew where Jesus laid down His life for us - bringing forgiveness and redemption for all of mankind.

As I sat out on our patio swing enjoying the perfection and peace that I am blessed with tonight I am reminded of the uncertainty and unrest that so many felt the night that Jesus was crucified. So many questions why..., what..., how... Good Friday was not such a good day for those that had watched Jesus willingly submit to the Roman authorities and religious leaders. Good Friday was not a day of peace for those that had watch Jesus hung on a cross in the midst of taunts and criticism. Good Friday was not a day to be remembered for those that had watched Jesus suffocate to death right before their eyes.

The only reason we can stomach the phrase "Good Friday" is because we know about Sunday!

Let us consider that this is indeed a good Friday. For this was the Friday in which Jesus removed our shackles of slavery to sin - this was the Friday in which Jesus opened the door for all of mankind to come in - this was the Friday in which Jesus bought and brought  us salvation. 

This is indeed a good Friday. For resurrection Sunday is three days away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment