Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I Want To Know Christ


Philippians has become one of my favorite books in the Bible. Philippians can be summarized as Paul's letter describing joy in the midst of suffering. 

There are several key verses that I can point to to tell you why Philippians

has become one of my favorite books in the Bible; 
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (1:21)
...in humility value others above yourselves... (2:3)
...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. (2:12-13) 
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. (3:7) 
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal,but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (3:12-14) 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (4:6) 
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (4:8) 
...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (4:11-13)
Yet, given all of these verses, there is one that resonates with me the greatest right now;
I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. (3:10-11)
Yes, This was Paul's greatest desire, to know Christ. 

He wanted to fully experience the presence of Jesus Christ. He wanted to feel His power - the power that created the heavens and the earth, the power that made the lame walk, the power that healed the afflicted, the power that called the dead back to life, the power that calmed the wind and the waves, the power that delivered the possessed, the power that sent Satan running, the power that brought Him out from the tomb.  

He wanted to participate in the sufferings of Jesus Christ. He wanted to feel the deep connection to God the Father that would be required in the midst of suffering, opposition, and and persecution. 

And, this should be our greatest desire, to know Christ.

We should have the desire to know Christ, to experience His power, and to participate with Him in suffering.

However, this is only possible through one thing, through rejoicing in Jesus Christ.
In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy... (1:4)
The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice... (1:18) 
I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith... (1:25) 
...make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. (2:2) 
But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. (2:17) 
So you too should be glad and rejoice with me. (2:18) 
So then, welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor people like him... (2:29) 
Further, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! (3:1) 
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends! (4:1) 
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (4:4) 
rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. (4:10)
You see, it is through our joy in Christ and our rejoicing in the midst of all situations that we will know Christ - experiencing His power and participating with Him in suffering. 

And, through our joy in Christ the world will be drawn to Jesus Christ. 

Furthermore, through our rejoicing in the midst of all situations, our brothers in sisters in Christ will be encouraged and they will draw closer to Christ - in all situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment