Monday, August 4, 2014

Poppy

I'm sitting on a plane - in Traverse City, Michigan - as we taxi down the runway, headed toward Detroit. 

Our family vacation began on Friday and - as we arrived at the lake cottage - it began with some difficult news. My grandpa - "Poppy" - passed away on Friday afternoon. 

This morning I am headed to my parents to prepare for the funeral and to try and bring some comfort and encouragement through a funeral meditation. This morning I am headed to my parents while Kim and our children stay in Michigan.

I am reminded at times such as these just how brief life is and how important family is. I will miss Poppy, his jokes, his stories, and his life. Most of all I will miss his character, his humility, and his family values. Poppy was God-fearing, family-focused man. 

I pray that I can be a husband such as he was - loyal and honoring for 63 years. I pray that I can be a father such as he was - a loving and gentle leader. I pray that I can be a friend such as he was - patient and forgiving. 

As I head south, I miss my wife and I miss my children. And, in our brief separation from one another, I pray that I will learn how to - and I pray that I will grow to be - the husband, father, and friend that Poppy was - the husband, father, and friend that they deserve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment