Monday, April 6, 2015

Baptizing Zion

Yesterday I had the great honor and privilege of baptizing my son Zion, as we concluded our Easter worship celebration. This is the second of my children that I have had the honor of baptizing. For me, of course, this is a very emotional experience.

Zion began asking me if he could be baptized almost a year and a half ago. But, because he was only 5 years-old, I told him that it would be better if he would wait to be baptized. He has asked me several times over the past year and a half and every time, after a bit of conversation with him, I conclude by telling him that it would be better if he would wait until he was older.

The reasoning that he gives for wanting to be baptized are reasons that I would encourage others to be baptized; I want to receive communion, I want my sin to be completely washed away, and I want to tell others that I am a Christian, to name a few.

Knowing that I was preparing to baptize three individuals yesterday, he asked me Thursday - as I laid him down for bed - "Dad, can I be baptized on Sunday?" Once again we had a conversation. And, once again, he gave good reasoning for wanting to be baptized; "I want to take communion with you and mom." Then, once again, I old him that it would be best to wait. And on Saturday - before I laid him down for bed - "Dad, will you baptize me tomorrow?" Once again we had a conversation. And, once again, he gave good reasoning for wanting to be baptized; "I want Jesus to wash all my sin away in front of the church." Then, once again, I old him that it would be best to wait.

As we sat down in the front pew on Sunday morning, with music playing, and anticipation for our resurrection worship celebration to begin, Zion looks up to me; "Dad, will you please baptize me today?" Once again we had a conversation. And, once again, he gave good reasoning for wanting to be baptized; "I think it will help me grow closer to God".

During the service I had a short conversation with God.
After the service I had a short conversation with my wife.
Then I had a short conversation with Zion.
And I got to celebrate an amazing moment with my son.


No comments:

Post a Comment