Saturday, November 12, 2016

Sorry

This afternoon I was driving back from Indianapolis and I was hungry. Because I was by myself the question came to me, "Where is somewhere that I can go for lunch that my wife and children typically will not allow me to go?" Immediately I exclaimed, "White Castle!"

I should explain that my wife hates White Castle, she hates the taste, she hates the smell, she hates the long-reaching effects (they are called "belly bombs" and "sliders" for a reason). 

So there I was, at the White Castle drive-thru, ordering a sack of burgers. And, as I placed my order, I knew that I would soon have to apologize to my wife for my actions. But, regardless, I went ahead and ordered a sack. 

Driving down the road it didn't take long before the burgers were gone. In their place was a stomach aching from an act of gluttony, a car reaking from grease, onions, and pickles, eyes filled with regret, a mind flooded with sorrow, and a heart desiring to repent. 

And even though I knew in advance that my wife would not approve of my actions, and that I would need to make amends and apologize to her for the damage I was doing to my body and to her vehicle, I went ahead, ordered and consumed multiple burgers.

 

This afternoon I am paying for my actions! 

I cannot help but reflect on how closely this resembles our spiritual life. 

So often we are tempted by a selfish desire and - even though we know that it will do damage to our body, our mind, our heart, our soul, and those who are closest to us - we move forward. 

We navigate the road, pull into the drive-thru, place our order, and consume as much as we can. All the while we know that we will soon have to appologize and repent of our ways. 

We focus on the temptation that is before us until the temptation becomes sin in our life. 

What we are left with is a body that has sinned, a mind flooded with sorrow, a heart that desires to repent, and a soul that is broken. 

You see, The most troubling aspect about our sin is that we are scarred for the future. 

Even as I sit this afternoon, still feeling the effects of the burgers, still knowing the pain that I have caused my wife (in her vehicle anyhow) I have to admit that I could eat another "slider" right now. 

It is the same way with our sin. What once was a surface level desire - a temptation that otherwise would pass by - has the ability to imbed itself deep into our life. Over time our temptation becomes sin, our sin becomes addiction, and our addiction becomes our identity. 

So, the next time you are tempted by a selfish desire, call out to God. Let him remind you of the far-reaching pain that your sin will cause - to yourself, to those closest to you, and to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment