Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Leading The Way

Last weekend I was driving north on I-69 when I found myself behind a vehicle traveling 55 miles per hour in a 60 mile per hour zone. 

I didn't realize that we were traveling below the speed limit right away. Thinking back on the situation, it seems as though I was in a sort of semi-zombie trans where I was not fully processing my speed and not fully considering my surroundings.

I became aware of my decreased speed when another vehicle, one that had been behind us for some time, passed me as well as the vehicle I was following. 

As I was being passed, I thought one thing; "I could have - and should have - passed this car a while ago".

Then it occurred to me how the car that was passing me at the moment was leading the way. Not only was this vehicle reminding me of my decreased speed and of my ability and opportunity to pass, the driver was leading the way by giving me an example to follow.

Leadership is not only needed on the interstate, taking an initiative and leading by example is needed everyday. 

I wonder how often people around us are operating in a sort of semi-zombie trans where they are not fully processing their thoughts and not fully considering their surroundings. 

I wonder how often people around us are waiting for someone to lead the way. 

I wonder how often people around us are waiting for someone to remind them of their abilities and their opportunities. 

I wonder how often people around us are waiting for someone to give them an example to follow.

So, who are you leading? 

And, who will you lead? 


No comments:

Post a Comment