Monday, January 16, 2017

To Be

 

Sunday night our church family observed John Wesley's Covenant Renewal Service. Toward the end of the service I asked; "How do you want God to bless you, spiritually, in 2017?". This question led to great introspection.

Today, I considered - and prayed over - this question deeper and I was led to one word, "be"

My hope, spiritually, is that I learn to "be" in 2017. 

I want to learn to "be" in the presence of God, to enjoy the quiet - and sometimes unproductive - moments with Him. I want The Lord to show me how to "be" with Him without the desire to "do" for Him. 

However, to "be" is not only my hope spiritually. There is more. 

My hope, relationally, is that I learn to "be" in 2017. 

I was recently reminded of the "StrengthsFinder" personality assessment that I took four years ago. I was asked to take the assessment again and it revealed - just as it did four years ago - that my greatest "strength" is "Acheiver". 

According to StrengthsFinder creator, Don Clifton, Achievers "have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive." 

It is this very "strength" that drives me to "do" rather than to "be". This is why my wife tells - and often has to force - me to sit down so often. I miss out on quite a bit, relationally, because of this drive to "do" rather than "be". 

Author M. Robert Mulholland Jr., in his book, "Invitation to a Journey", writes; "We live in a culture that has reversed the biblical order of being in doing. Being and doing our integrally related, to be sure, but we have to have the order straight. Our doing flows out of our being."

My prayer in 2017; God, teach me to "be".

No comments:

Post a Comment