Saturday, May 5, 2012

Free Car Wash

As a local church family, we have the constant call and desire to serve the community and share the love of Christ in a practical way. Today we accomplished this through an "Absolutely FREE Car Wash"! We set out with the intent to wash as many cars as possible, to charge nothing for the car washes and to accept no money for our act of love and service. Several means of promotion were done weeks in advance and various signs were made up announcing that this car was was, in fact, "absolutely free".

What we were not expecting was how skeptical people are to anything that promises to be "free". Many cars drove right past because they felt like there must be a catch to this free car wash. Some pulled in with expectation that some donation would be asked for and they seemed to be amazed when we told them that this car wash was, in fact, absolutely free. Then there was the man that almost demanded that I take his money, reacted to my statement that we were not accepting money for this act of service, and peeled out of the parking lot without allowing us to wash his vehicle.

I was blessed through this event today but I was also confused by the reluctance of people to accept "free" and skepticism of people anytime the word "free" is mentioned. But, as I thought about everything this evening it struck me that perhaps this is how many unbelievers see the message of Jesus Christ, His love for them, and the grace and hope that He promises to anyone that places their trust in Him. He promises all of humankind these gifts and He offers them "absolutely free". And, the most amazing thing - the most awesome things - is that it is absolutely free - THERE ARE NO STRINGS ATTACHED!  

See, I have been a believer for more than 17 years now and I have been a pastor for more almost six years, and I don't understand all this. I don't understand why God loves me in the first place. I don't understand why He freely gives me the gifts of hope, forgiveness, and an eternal future with Him in glory. I don't understand it but I know that Jesus promises it. And because I know of Christ's promises, because He has assured me that it truly is "absolutely free" - that all I have to do is call on His offer, allow Him to wash me and make me clean, and accept His gifts - I place my faith and my trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment