Saturday, May 26, 2012

Perfection on your Knees

I enjoy cleaning! I am not entirely sure why this is. Perhaps it has to do with the fulfillment of knowing that the job is complete, once a room has been cleaned you can move on and know that it has been done! Perhaps it has to do with the gratification of looking at a clean room and knowing that it is, in fact clean. But, for whatever reason, I like to clean!

The other day my my wife, Kim, asked me if I would sweep the kitchen floor. So I swept the kitchen floor. I picked up the rugs, I pulled the trash can out, I pulled the refrigerator out, I pulled the kitchen table and chairs out, and I swept the kitchen floor. Then I grabbed a mop and I mopped the kitchen floor. It looked perfect! It was done! So, I moved on to the bathroom...

The next afternoon, however, I walked into the kitchen and noticed some crumbs under my feet. How could this have happened? This floor was perfectly clean yesterday! Soon I found myself on my knees picking up the most minuscule crumbs off the floor. I know this sound ridiculous, and believe me it is, but I wanted this floor to stay perfectly clean for at least twenty-four hours. So, I stayed on my knees until the crumbs were picked up and the floor was perfectly clean once again.

That is when the thought occurred to me. If we want to keep certain things perfect, we must get on our knees and take the time to labor, making things right until everything is perfect once again. This applies to a clean kitchen floor and to our life as believers in Jesus Christ.

At church these last few weeks we have been focusing on holiness and Christian perfection. And, in order for Christian perfection to be a reality for us we must get down on our knees, lifting our praise, our needs, our concerns, our trials, and our burdens to Jesus. And, this must happen daily.

If we want to keep our Christian lives perfect we must get on our knees and take the time to labor, communicate, and fellowship with our Lord, and we must make things right with Him until everything is perfect once again. Only Christ can bring a person to perfection. It is vitally important that we get on our knees with Him regularly.

"It is hard to stumble when you're on your knees."

No comments:

Post a Comment