Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Families Serve Together


I don't see my parents as much as I'd like to and I don't call them as much as I need to. My parents live a couple hours away and although I don't live at their house, my parents have some expectations when I go to their home. One of which is that I lend a hand – that I help out.

Imagine going to your parents house and sitting down at the table; 
  • “Bring me the cereal, Mom!”
  • “Dad, get me a bowl!”
  • “I can't eat this without some milk!”
  • “Grab me a spoon while you're up too!”
What would happen if you walked into a family member's house and sat down in the living room and stated “I need a glass of ice water”? In most cases I imagine they would point you to the kitchen to GET IT YOURSELF! And why is that? Because you're family! And family members work together.

Easter was the last time we were at my parents house. We walked in, received a warm greeting and, soon after, a job that needed to be done in preparation for the meal. 
  • There was a ham to be sliced
  • A table that needed to be set
  • Several chairs that had to be moved
  • And so much more
Picture me walking over to the couch and laying down for a nap. “Just wake me up when lunch is ready.” That wouldn't fly!

But, this is the way many folks act in The Church. And they don't feel like they fit in or belong. In most cases it is because they aren't taking an active roll in serving
  • See, Families serve together
  • And, God's family is called to serve together too
In my parent's house – if I were to lay down on the couch and demand dinner brought to me when it's ready I would be met with a stern wake up call from my dad. Yet many people in the church have gotten away with not serving because no one has given you that stern wake up call that they need.   

No comments:

Post a Comment