Sunday, June 2, 2013

Focused on the Purpose

Research shows that women are far better at multitasking than men are; that women can do multiple tasks at the same time and succeed while men struggle to and often must focus on one task at a time

And I often get distracted. When I am watching a program on television and my wife or one of our children begin to talk to me, I find it very difficult to concentrate on what they are saying and very difficult to turn the volume down or turn the program off. Other times I will go out to the garage to get something and find myself "tinkering" with a project or tool and before I know it I have forgotten all about my original intent. 

Sometimes it is convenient – easier – if we get distracted, and so we don't mind “allowing ourselves” to get distracted. And when we get distracted - when we loose focus on the task that we set out to accomplish or the task that we have been asked to accomplish, we have lost our purpose!

I believe that today much of the purpose of The Church has been lost; that we've lost focus of the task that we set set out to accomplish and we've lost focus of the task that we have been asked to accomplish

By many The Church is seen as a social club; a good place to go and meet other people, a good place to go to see our friends and fellow believers, or a good place to go for activities and events in the community. By many others The Church is seen as a religious organization; an organization that promotes rules and laws to be followed, or an organization that governs and judges those who are are and are not following these rules and laws. But this is not the purpose of The Church!

Jesus' words in Acts 1:8; “you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

This is the purpose of The Church - to be witnesses of Jesus Christ; to share the love of Jesus, to speak the message of Jesus, and to change lives for Jesus

This is the purpose of The Church as stated by Jesus; “you will be My witnesses...to the ends of the earth”. And if we lose focus of this purpose, we loose focus of all that Jesus has given to us to accomplish;

This is the purpose of The Church as established by The Holy Spirit; “you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you”. The power that we receive is power to be witnesses for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment