Thursday, June 6, 2013

Water Heater

This past weekend we stayed on the church campground and had a close encounter when it came time to turn on the water heater. 

After turning on the gas - that is supplied by a small propane tank - I proceeded to the water heater, turned the dial to "pilot", pressed the supply button and inserted an open flame. It did not light so I went through these steps again. Time after time the water heater did not light.

I walked into the kitchen to turn on the gas to the range - to open the line and allow the gas to flow. What I was not aware of was that the valves - all four - are mislabeled and had been open the entire time. So, as I clicked the lighter and the open flame ignited the cloud of gas surrounding the stove, a flame shot from the top of the range in every direction.

The strange thing was that, when I got back to the water heater, the pilot light was ignited.

And, if the water heater pilot had ignited in the first place, I never would have gone to the range and I might not have turned off the gas in the kitchen. 

Another important point, Kim normally lights a candle in the kitchen every evening. Imagine the explosion!

It is important to recognize when God's hand is at work. It is important to see the small details and how the little things amount to a lot. It is important to overlook the frustrating moments - such as a water heater not igniting - and to focus on the amazing moments - such as the house not exploding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment