Monday, February 3, 2014

Made Stronger In Their Presence

I have gone to Spring Arbor, Michigan this week to participate in "Equipping for Excellence" and conference for the leadership of the Free Methodist Church. Sharing in fellowship and friendship with the various pastors and leaders at this conference has been wonderful, the leadership development instruction has been great, and the breakout group that I participated in this afternoon was been insightful. However, the portion of the conference that I have enjoyed the most so far has been the worship services.

It has been nice to listen to our Bishops bring teaching and insight from the Scripture. Likewise, the musical worship team has been inspirational and has led our group into the presence of the Almighty God in a new and powerful way during each service. The Spirit of God has been moving through this group of Pastors and leaders in a way that is transnational and life-changing. 

I am not a great singer, music has never been a gift of mine. I am unable to play any musical instrument and I often struggle to carry a tune. However this does not keep me from worshiping. This afternoon - as we praised God in song - I found myself positioned between two of my close friends and fellow pastors - Adam Strauser and Matt Schutter - both are excellent singers - I could listen to either one of them sing for hours. And, as I stood between these two friends , a thought occurred to me; "I am made stronger, I am made better because I am with them". Their presence, their support, and their voices, enabled me to stay on key and to sing in a more powerful way.

And, just as their presence made me stronger in song, the presence of Godly men and women - Godly friends and Godly influences in our lives - make us stronger and make us better because we are with them. As Proverbs 13:20 states "Walk with the wise and become wise".

I should add that both of these friends mentioned above are also very Godly men who support me in my spiritual walk and hold me accountable in various ways. I am thankful for close friends that help to support and guide me through their love, actions, presence, and even their voice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment