Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hands-On Bible

I had a gift card to the Family Christian Bookstore that was given to me for Christmas in 2012. I actually forgot that I still had this gift card and that I had not used it up to this point. I found it tucked away in my wallet several weeks ago and considered what I might purchase with it.

Then, about two weeks ago, a friend of mine posted about the Hands-On Bible and told how much they enjoyed reading this Bible with their children and how involved their children were in this version of the Bible.

As I read the reviews of the Hands-On Bible online, my excitement grew. We own several Bibles but this one is different in that it gets children involved by giving experiments and activities as they relate to different passages and stories.

Without hesitation, I went online and placed the order and two-weeks later, our family's new Bible arrived in the mail.I have to say, I am quite disappointed! Stay with me and I'll tell you why.

Our children have not gained anything from this version of the Bible. Our children do not get involved, at all, in the Scripture passages or in the stories as was promised by the publisher. Our children are not drawn in to the Bible accounts as the reviews promised that they would. As a parent, I am frustrated. As a Pastor, I am disappointed.

I decided I had to write this post this morning, as I walked past my nightstand and saw the Hands-On Bible laying there, with its cardboard cover and protective plastic wrap collecting dust.

What do I need to do to get my children involved in this version of the Bible? Perhaps I need to take the packaging off, sit down, and read it with them. Perhaps, I need to take the time to open it up and get into the Scripture.

Although we have had this Bible in our home for almost a week, we have not yet opened it as a family. And, because of this, we have taken nothing out of it and nothing away from it. Perhaps this is the issue with so many of us - both children and adults. We are not sure why our relationship with God struggles, we are not sure why we lack the wisdom, encouragement, and answers for so many of our daily burdens, yet we allow our Bible to remain closed - collecting dust on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment