Saturday, October 18, 2014

Daily Tasks

There are several tasks that I (try to) do every day. Some of these tasks are simple, others are more involved. Some of these tasks take only a moment or two, others are more drawn out. 

The most important - and most contemplative - task that I (try to) do every day is in regard to my time of prayer and a time of questioning. 

Every day I (try to) have three times of prayer; in the morning, at noon, and of an evening. In the morning my prayer focuses on me and my plea is "God, help me love You". At noon my prayer focuses on The Church and my plea is "God, help me love Your Church". Of an evening my prayer focuses on my family and my plea is "God, help me to love my family". 

The order of these prayers - to me - are important. If my day does not begin with the plea for God to help me love Him - and if I do not have a pure and true love for Him - the rest of my day is useless. At noon I focus on The Church - including my family, all those in our local church and those that our local church can minister to, and all those in The Church (worldwide) and those that The Church can witness to - because this is the point in the day when I am most focused on my calling as a pastor. Of an evening I focus on my family - my wife, my marriage, and my children - because this is the point in the day when I am most focused on my calling as a husband and a father. 

Every day I (try to) end my day asking - and mentally answering - three questions; (1) How did you prepare for the moment you will stand before God and answer to Him? (2) How did you prepare your family for the moment they will stand before God and answer to Him? (3) How did you prepare others for the moment they will stand before God and answer to Him?

I believe that the purpose of my life is to prepare - myself and others - for the moment that we stand before God and answer to Him and therefore I believe it is necessary to ask - and contemplate - these questions. Some days these questions bring to my mind exciting conversations and thoughts of development from the day. Other days I am met with discouragement and thoughts of failure to lead as I should. Yet - to me - this is a very important daily task. 

So, what is your purpose and how are you fulfilling it? Perhaps God has called you to a specific job. Are you doing it with all of your heart? Perhaps God has gifted you with talents or influence. Are you using them to your greatest ability? Perhaps God has trusted you with great resources or money. Are you being a good steward? Perhaps God has blessed you with family, friends, and relationships. Are you being the witness that You should be. 

Whatever your purpose is. Identify it and live it out. Only you can serve this mission that God has created you for and called you to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment