Monday, June 13, 2016

Deep Love

I opened a meeting this evening by reading 1 Peter 4:7-8;

The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

This passage has been heavy on my heart throughout the weekend. I have been wresting with the call to "love one another deeply". What does this mean? What does this look like? 

This evening I came upon a post that I wrote exactly three years ago, "A New Command".

We find that Jesus commands us to love, stating that "by this all will know that you are my disciples". Couple this with the call that Peter gives for us to "love one another deeply" and we know that love is important. 

My greatest concern is that the line between love and hate has become far too grey in The Church, that The Church is walking a very thin line between love and hate. And, the question that is heavy in my mind is, "How do we know when our love has become hate?".

Does my love become hate when I think negatively about a brother in Christ? Does my love become hate when I share gossip about my sister in Christ? Does my love become hate when I begin to slander my Christian sister? Does my love become hate when I wish harm on my Christian brother? Where is the line between love and hate. 

Christ calls me to love and so I love. But I love with caution. I love with the awareness that when my love is not deep - error-overlooking, attack-bearing  hurt-forgiving - love, it is short of the love that Christ has called me to. I love with deep love, focused on Christ's love. Anything less is hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment