Monday, June 6, 2016

Promised To Abram

Reading from Genesis 12 this morning I was reminded of Abram and the promises that God established with him. 

I will make you into a great nation.

I will bless you.

I will make your name great.

I will make you a blessing.

I will bless those who bless you.

I will curse those who curse you.

I will bless all people through you. 

So, Abram left, as the Lord had told him to. Abram followed the call and the command of God and he set off for the land that God had promised to him. 

But, due to a famine in the land, Abram and his wife Sarai stopped in Egypt. And, despite all the protection and provision that God had promised him, Abram was afraid and decided to take matters into his own hands. 

As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife, Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are. When Egyptians see you they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me but will let you live. Say you are my sister, so that I would be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you."

Just to be clear, Abram, knowing God's promise - His plan, His protection, and His provision - was afraid for his life. And, out of fear and lost faith. Abram then decided that it would be best to abandon God's promises and give up his wife to save his own skin. This is not just selfish, this is sinful. 

And yet, we find ourselves doing this daily. Perhaps we don't act to this degree, yet we often abandon what God has called and commanded us to and act in our own wisdom. Perhaps we don't act to this degree, yet we often treat our loved ones abusively - emotionally, verbally, or physically - out of selfishness. 

Let us consider this account of Abram's life as an example. Let us remember on what God has called and commanded us to. Let us focus on God's promises - His plan, His protection, and His provision - over us.


No comments:

Post a Comment