Saturday, July 9, 2016

Faithfulness on the Water

I've read this passage multiple times, the account of Jesus walking out on the water in the midst of a storm. The disciples see Jesus and are terrified. And yet Peter - in midst of this storm, in the midst of the disciples' disbelief, in the midst of his own terror - calls out to Jesus. 

Matthew 14:25-29; Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.

There are two things I want to point out. First, Jesus was about to pass by. He didn't stop until the disciples called out to Him. If they had not called out to Him, Jesus would have continued to walk and He would have passed them by. Second, Peter was the only one to ask to walk on the waves with Jesus. 

Tomorrow I'll be preaching on this passage - and on faith and faithfulness. Let me propose that calling out to Jesus is faith. However, getting out of the boat and walking on the waves with Jesus is faithfulness. 

I don't want to sit in the boat and watch Jesus move, I want to get out of the boat  and be the one that Jesus uses to move. 

Let me challenge you to get out of the boat with me. More on that tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment