Tuesday, July 12, 2016

What Would You Do?

On Sunday we started a journey in a sermon series we are calling “On A Plane”. As I think of the scenario of being on an airplane and the level of complete trust – complete faith – that is placed in the hands of an airline pilot, I cannot help but think of being behind the yoke of a commercial jet myself.

Can you imagine the responsibility of having to navigate a commercial jet safety to the ground while the lives of multiple others rest in your hands? What if this responsibility was thrust upon you without any prior training?

What would you do? Do you take the yoke of the plane and try the best you can? Do turn and run out of the cockpit – I’m not the person for the job? Do you scramble around, looking for instructions on how to fly? Do you cry out for help from someone – anyone – “HELP ME!” 

What would you do?


Although most of us will never find ourselves behind the yoke of a commercial jet – having to navigate it through the sky – we all face situations – everyday – that are more urgent and more serious than flying a commercial airplane with no training!

What do we do? Do we turn and run – throw in the towel – “God this is not for me!” Do we look within ourselves – “I have all the knowledge and strength – I can handle this all on my own!” Or do we cry out for help from the God that has created us, the God that loves us, the God that is powerful enough to lead us through? 

What do you do? What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment