Monday, July 25, 2016

Glory Ahead

This past week many of our Washington Free Methodist Church family spent time at Wabash Park Camp at our annual Family Camp. Several days were spent in relaxation, recreation, and revival. Many of the children, teens, and adults participated in activities. Families, friends, and churches gathered for a time of food and fellowship. Several hundred shared in Bible studies and worship services.

Yet, it was often the little instances - the in-between occurrences - that caught my eye and stirred my heart. Sunday night I witnessed the teens leading the way to the altar in the midst of powerful worship. Monday evening, as I walked into the Pavilion prior to the evening service, I watched dozens of teens walking up and down rows of chairs, touching and praying over each seat and for the individual that would fill that seat. Tuesday afternoon I saw two small boys - friends - one teaching the other to ride a bike. Tuesday evening I watched the teens passionately worship in the front rows of the pavilion as the small children collected the offering. And Wednesday I walked upon a group of teens spontaneously sharing their testimonies with a group of children in the middle of a softball field. God was truly moving this past week.

And, as I considered each of these occurrences, one thought flooded my mind throughout the week. God has a great work to do - in our lives, in the lives of our children and teens, and in the life of our church. Perhaps this thought came from our Superintendent John Lanes' Tuesday morning teaching when he said "we are looking for folks who have not given up". 

I have made no secret of the fact that one of my top priority right now is to see our youth and children's ministries grow and flourish. You see, I have not given up. I pray that you have not given up either. And I pray that you will join me in this journey of reaching the next generation with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Further, I pray that we will allow the next generation to lead us as God equips and calls them to. 

We cannot give up. God has a great work to do in us and through us. You see, the "glory days" of the Washington Free Methodist Church are not behind us. As we witness and serve as The Church we know that God has glorious - miraculous - days ahead. 

Another comment from Superintendent Lane struck me this past week. "When we talk about the 'glory days' our children and our teens feel like they are showing up to Thanksgiving dinner late and everyone else has already eaten. Perhaps they're thinking; 'What about us? What is still left?'." 

We cannot give up. God has glorious days ahead!

Haggai 2:3-7; ‘Who of you is left who saw this house in its former glory? How does it look to you now? Be strong, all you people of the land,’ declares the Lord, ‘and work. For I am with you,’ declares the Lord Almighty. This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘In a little while I will once more shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. I will shake all nations, and what is desired by all nations will come, and I will fill this house with glory,’ says the Lord Almighty.

We cannot give up. God has glorious days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment