Friday, May 13, 2011

Benefits of the Routine

I just put our two-year-old son to bed for a forth time this evening. Lately he has had a lot of trouble going to bed and staying in bed. It seems that the last few nights have ended with me putting on my "scary voice" and laying out the consequences of not staying in bed to him. So far this has worked for us.

It seems that he finds every excuse possible to get up from his bed and to stay out of his bed; the blankets are not straight, he has to go to the bathroom, he wants to kiss us good night just one more time. Tonight was no different and, as I made the trek down the hall and reached deep down to pull out the scary voice, he began to cry, perhaps sensing the frustration in the sound of my footsteps. As I entered his room, he puts one finger up in the air and yells out, between cries, "we just forgot to read one story".

In my rush to get him to bed I had, in fact, forgot to read him a story. After reading him a bedtime story, tucking him in one more time, and kissing him good night. I began to think about our bedtime routine; bedtime drinks, reading stories, praying together, saying good night, singing songs, and more.
When my wife and I started this routine with our oldest daughter five years ago we didn't fully think through the ramifications of the routine; how long it takes every night, all the steps involved, etc. But, although it is sometimes inconvenient and tiring, we see the benefit of each aspect of the kid's bedtime routine and we wouldn't (purposefully) change any of it.

The same is true of our daily devotional time/Bible study/prayer time. First and foremost, it has to be started! Second, it has to be carried out for some time in order for it to become a regular routine. Third, it may, at times, be inconvenient but the benefits of it are immeasurable. The benefits may not be seen at the moment or even the day of this quality, focused time with God, but it will change life forever, this life and the next life.

No comments:

Post a Comment