Saturday, May 14, 2011

Having the Victory Over Myself

This morning I read a Tweet that John Piper made in which he wrote "No pastor lives up to what he preaches. If he does, he is preaching too low." I thought about this statement at various times throughout the day, I thought about how I pray prior to preparing and delivering the sermon and I thought about how I examine my life and actions before preparing and delivering the sermon. While I saw the truth in this statement from the very moment that I read it early this morning, I did not fully appreciate it until I did a final review of this Sunday morning's sermon.

Tomorrow (Sunday) morning's sermon topic is "Victory Over Self" based on the Scripture of Galatians 5:16-25. But the truth is this: for those of us who have committed our ways to Jesus Christ, our natural desires have been crucified, nailed to the cross, where it has no power to break loose, but is continually weaker and weaker (adapted from a phrase written by John Wesley).

If I am being totally transparent, which I believe is necessary for a successful pastor, I am desperately in need of recommitting my walk and my ways to Jesus Christ. I am desperately needing to commit to crucifying my sinful nature and natural desires and embrace the free life that Jesus promises and has designed for me once again.

My challenge then is to make this daily commitment, to daily crucify myself, my sinful nature, and my natural desires just as Jesus spoke of in Luke 9:23 or how Paul describes it in Galatians 2. If you are in the same boat as I am, I challenge you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment