Saturday, August 24, 2013

Religion and Morals


 I have to admit that as soon as I saw this picture on my facebook story line, it upset me.
 
As often as I tell people that Christianity is so much more than a religion - in fact I have stated at times that Christianity is not a religion at all, but that it is something entirely different - I have to admit that when I hear the word religion I often think of the way I worship God.
 
As often as I tell people that following Christ is not about religious actions - but that it is about having a relationship with The Almighty God that created us, loves, sustains us, sent His Son to redeem us, and wants to spend forever with us - I have to admit that when I hear the word religion I think of the way I live my life in a way that brings honor to Christ.
 
See, this picture and the message in this picture is not an attack on God, it is not an attack on Christ, and it is not an attack on Christianity or Christians - although it may be directed at all of these. This message is an attack on religion and religious practices. And, the truth is, we do not need religion to have morals. But, the above message is only half right - in my opinion. If you can't determine right from wrong than you lack God. The full truth is that the only reason any of us have the ability to recognize what is right and what is wrong - the only reason we have the ability to know how we are to act when we are facing right and wrong situations - is because God has instilled in each and every one of us this ability.
 
But, perhaps that is the issue that The Church has had is that we have endorsed wrong motives, wrong practices, and wrong actions in the name of religion. We have acted in the name of religion rather than acting in the name of Jesus.
 
See, there were many people who did not agree with what Jesus taught - yet none could claim that He lacked empathy and love. There are millions of people who don't agree with the what The Church teaches and what The Bible states and yet The Church finds themselves acting in ways that are not in line with what Jesus taught and what The Bible states.

We do not need religion to act in love. What we need is Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment