Sunday, August 11, 2013

Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near

Last week I was reading in the Gospel of Matthew...
Matthew 3:1-2; In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” 
Matthew 4:17; From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”
This phrase - repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near - is used to describe the preaching of John the Baptist and the preaching of Jesus.

This phrase - repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near - is used to describe the message of John the Baptist and the message of Jesus.

Given this fact, shouldn't this phrase be used to describe our preaching and teaching, and the messages that we are speaking to those in need of Christ today? It occurs to me that we aren't hearing this needed message in our churches today.

I tend to step on some toes in my preaching - but perhaps not enough. I asked several in a Sunday School class this morning if my preaching focuses enough on repentance and if I step on enough toes when I preach messages of repentance.

What we need in The Church (universal) today is repentance. 
What we need in our culture today is repentance. 
What we need in our world today is repentance. 

Because the kingdom of heaven has come near - through Jesus Christ - and has brought forgiveness and salvation for all who repent. Because the kingdom of heaven has come near and Christ will soon return to call all those who have repented home with Him. 

So, I encourage us all today to repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near. And, I encourage us all to speak this same message with compassion and love, with boldness and authority, and with Christ's kingdom in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment