Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Pleasing Aroma

I like to burn incense in my office at the church. You might think it is odd but it really helps me to focus and creates an atmosphere that helps me read, study, contemplate, and write. Several people have commented on the smell, some even saying that it is a bad smell coming from my office. Yet, to me it is pleasant, and that's the point.

Throughout the Old Testament you can find the words "pleasing aroma" regarding gifts, offerings, and sacrifices made to God. One example is the sacrifices and burnt offerings made by Noah following the flood and Noah's departure from the ark.

Genesis 8 says; "The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: 'Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.'"

See, the "pleasing aroma" of Noah's Gift moved God, it touched His heart. What is exciting is that we have the ability to do the same.

As David prays in Psalm 141; "May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice."

Is this your desire too? Do you want your prayers to go before God and for Him to accept them as a "pleasing aroma"?

In Revelation 8 John writes; "Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand."

With your prayers, you have the ability to move God, and to touch His heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment