Saturday, January 11, 2014

I Have Been Looking Forward To This All Week

I just sat down on the couch to watch the game I have been waiting all week to see. The Indianapolis Colts are playing the (hard-to-like) New England Patriots in the NFL playoffs. When the Colts play the Patriots it is always an exciting game, especially when they face each other in the playoffs. Add to it the fact that the Colts are playing better than they have in a long time and the fact that the Patriots have not lost a game at home all season and you have the makings of a wonderful evening.

Because this is the 7:00 game I have cleared the rest of my evening - knowing that I will be watching this game late into the night. I took an early shower, put the kids to bed a bit early, fixed a snack, grabbed a drink, and emptied my schedule. Why? Because I have been looking forward to this game all week!

On a separate note, I am looking forward to our church service tomorrow morning. Because of the winter storm last weekend we had to cancel our worship service last Sunday and it has been almost two weeks since our church family has come together for worship. Tomorrow is the first time I get to preach this new year, I've been looking forward - with great expectation - to this new series for the past three months, and the sermon that I get to preach tomorrow is one that I have been excited to preach for several weeks. Excitement, anticipation, and energy are high. I can't wait for tomorrow's worship service.

In anticipation for tomorrow's service, I have invited several individuals and families, I promoted and announced the service many times on Facebook and emails, I have confirmed the worship music and many details with our leaders, and I have reviewed and prayed over the sermon various times. Why? Because I have been looking forward to this worship service all week!

As I consider both of these events - tonight's football game and tomorrow's worship service - I wonder; "how much preparation are we giving to our worship services". Are we preparing our schedules, our bodies, our minds, our hearts, and our families for an encounter with the Almighty God? Are we giving even minimal preparation before we walk in to meet with our creator. Is our preparation prior to worship adequate for The One that sustains us and waits to spend eternity with us? Is  our preparation for God comparable with the preparation we make prior to a football game - or some other activity.

Given all of this, I believe that the amount of preparation we make and the amount of anticipation we have truly shows how much of a priority it is in our life. I think this is a good illustration - a good measurement device - of the value we place on a something or someone.

So, what sort of preparation are your making prior to worshiping The Lord tomorrow? What sort of anticipation to you have to coming onto His presence in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment