Sunday, January 5, 2014

Waiting for the Snow...or Something

Here I sit, at 5:30 on a Sunday morning, waiting - hoping - praying for the snow to start falling. Not only for the snow to start falling but for it to start falling quickly.

I am waiting for the snow to fall at the rate that the meteorologists forecasted these past few days.
I am waiting for the minimum of 8 inches of snow to begin at any moment
I am waiting for the maximum of 14 inches of snow to show up any time.

This "snow storm" was predicted to begin at 12:00 this morning and dump a significant amount of snow on our area through noon today. Yet, as I sit looking out the front window of my home, no snow! A bit of rain, but no snow. This "winter blast" was predicted to bring temperatures into the lower 20s and to continue to fall from there. Yet, as I look at the thermometer on our back patio, we are hanging in around 34 degrees.

It's not often that I pray for snow. No, the reason I and begging for snow this morning is because last night around 8:30 I decided that cancelling our Sunday morning and evening ministries was the most responsible thing to do. The reason that I continue to look out the window, waiting for the first sign of a winter blast is because I hate - let me write that again, I HATE - to cancel a worship service.  

I sat talking with my wife yesterday afternoon - considering and debating whether our services should be canceled today - and I told her how much I hated to cancel a service. Then I told her how difficult it was for me to express, and to explain, why.

Perhaps it is the thought that God's Name will not be praised and glorified in our church this Sunday morning.
Perhaps it is the thought that the Gospel will not be preached in our church this Sunday morning.
Perhaps it is the thought that those within our church family may decide that it is easier to sleep in then to open their Bibles, go to the Lord in prayer, or worship Him on this day that He has made.
Perhaps it is the thought that this may have been the day someone heard the encouragement that they needed or felt the love that they needed to carry help them manage the burdens of life.
Perhaps it is that thought that thousands within our community have never accepted the truth of Jesus Christ in their lives and that they will not have the opportunity to enter a church to do so this Sunday.
Or perhaps it is all of the above and so much more!

So, this morning, as I wait for the snow to begin - I will go and read my Bible, I will pray with my family, I will worship the Lord through song and through the life that He has given me on this day that He has created. And, I will leave everything in God's hands. This is not my problem to worry over and it is not mine to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment