Tuesday, September 15, 2015

At The Quads


Yesterday I wrote about the lawn of the Quads where I realized that I was falling in love with Kim - now my wife. 

It was during the late night conversation that I became friends before falling in love. We talked about school, family, friendships, food, clothes, hopes, dreams, and faith.

remember various parts of our 5-6 hour conversation. Some parts I am not proud of. 

One question Kim asked me that night was "Do you go to church?". Now, as of that night I had not yet found a church to attend on a regular basis. However, I was leading a small (6 member) student ministry group on campus - Fellowship of Collegiate Christians (FCC). As soon as she asked me this question I thought of FCC, but I was fearful that she would stop talking to me if she found out - why I'm not sure. So, I answered her question, "No, I don't go to church!"

Later in the week, she asked if I wanted to go out Friday night. I had to say "no" because I was going on a retreat with our FCC group. But, instead of mentioning FCC, inviting her to attend the retreat, or telling her about the details of the retreat, once again, I answered dishonestly. I told her that I was going on a camping trip with some friends. 

Friday afternoon came and she asked me up to her room in the Quads, "you can meet my four roommates", she said. And as I walked in and saw her roommates I froze and I panicked. You see, three of her four roommates where members of FCC. What are the odds that half of the FCC group lived with her? 

Kim began to introduce me and one of her roommates said, "Oh we know Adam. In fact, we are going on this retreat together this weekend!" 

When the truth was exposed she was upset; "Why did you lie to me?". 

The fact that she forgave me and continued to talk with me made me love her more. But, when she began to attend FCC and worked with me to find a church we could attend TOGETHER, that confirmed that she was the one I wanted to spend forever with. 

I try to be honest with her to this day. But occasionally I catch myself holding back part of the truth and I am reminded of Numbers 32:23; "...be sure your sun will find you out".

No comments:

Post a Comment