Friday, September 11, 2015

Pray Together

This weekend I have the honor of officiating a good friend's wedding (whether she considers me a good friend or simply a friend by association, it doesn't much matter). And in a couple of weeks I have the blessing of officiating my brither's wedding. 

As I prepare for the wedding ceremony and reflect on marriage, my thoughts went back to a statistic reported by Cheryl Sacks in her book "Prayer-Saturated Kids".

A 1993 Gallup poll revealed that among married couples who attend church together regularly, the divorce rate is one out of two. That’s the same statistic as for marriages outside the church. However, among married couples who pray together daily, the divorce rate is one out of 1,153.

As a Pastor, of course I believe Prayer works and that it draws us closer to Christ, who helps build our marriages around His will and His way. Likewise, as a husband, I have seen that prayer brings my wife and I together. We communicate better and resolve conflict quicker when our shared prayer life is strong. 

Sacks writes, Prayer builds unity and intimacy. We become intimate to whom we pray, for whom we pray, and with whom we pray.

Randy Willis adds that this statistic highlights that couples who pray together are intentional (praying together requires intentionality). And couples who are intentional about praying together are likely to be intentional in other areas of their relationship as well. 

So, whether you are soon-to-be married, you are early in your marriage, or you have been married for a long time, let me encourage you to be intentional in your prayer life with your spouse. Begin today!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment