Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I Knew I Loved Her

October 2nd, 2001. It had started with a simple agreement to meet. But when I saw the beauty of the young woman walking toward me I was speechless. Unable to form a coherent sentence, I walked right past her and her friend. But, not wanting this to be the end, I turned and walked with them. From 7:00 to about 7:10 I was hopeless, no words were spoken, no glances exchanged, no chemistry was seen. But then, when a disabled veteran lost his pants, we made an instant connection.


It was on this hill, on the lawn of the Quads at Indiana State University that I fell in love with Kim. After walking around the campus for more than an hour, I walked her back to her dorm and we found our way to a picnic table on the lawn of the Quads. We found ourselves talking about anything and everything that night - and into the very early morning hours.

As I said, we made a connection the moment I first spoke to her, we developed a friendship as we walked through campus, but I knew that I loved her somewhere around 2:00 am on October 3rd.

As I reminisce about the night that I met and fell in love with my - now - wife, I thank God for His hand working in various ways. I am thankful that Kim agreed to meet me that night. I am thankful that a disabled was unable to get inside without our assistance. I am thankful that his pants fell to his knees giving me the opportunity to speak to Kim for the first time. I am thankful that Kim's roommate left us alone to walk through campus that night. I am thankful that there was a picnic table to sit at on the lawn of the Quads. I am thankful that Kim never invited me up to her dorm room that night. I am thankful that we never had an awkward moment of silence that night.

I can't say just how Kim felt about me, but I know that I fell in love with her that first night we met as we talked on the lawn of the Quads. And I've fallen in love with her countless times from that day forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment